Applications of Oxygen in the medical industry
1. The concept and chemical properties of Oxygen
- Oxygen gas is a chemical element with the symbol O and atomic number 8. At standard temperature and pressure, two atoms of the element bond to form oxygen gas. Oxygen gas is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. A diatomic gas with the formula O2. It is an important part of the atmosphere. Oxygen is needed to sustain life on earth. As a non-metallic element, it reacts readily to form compounds (especially oxides) with most elements. Except for the inert gases Helium and Neon. Oxygen is an oxygen. Therefore, the application of oxygen in medicine is very popular.
- Elemental oxygen is produced by green algae, algae and plants. It is used in cellular respiration for all complex life forms. Oxygen is toxic to obligately anaerobic organisms
- Industrial oxygen gas is produced industrially by fractional distillation of liquefied petroleum gas. Use zeolite with moving gas pressure to concentrate oxygen from air, water and other media.
2. Application of oxygen in industries.
- Oxygen gas is used in the production of steel, plastics and textiles, steam welding, welding and cutting of steel and other metals, rocket launchers, oxygen therapy and life support systems on aircraft and submarines. , space and diving..etc…
- In commercial production O2 is used to melt iron into steel. Smelting iron ore into steel consumes 55% of commercially produced oxygen. In this process, O2 is injected through a high-pressure nozzle into the molten iron to remove excess sulfur and carbon impurities such as oxides, SO2 and CO2, respectively. The reactions are exothermic, so the temperature rises to 1,700°C.
- An additional 25% of commercially produced oxygen is used by the chemical industry. Ethylene reacts with O2 to produce ethylene oxide. Which, in turn, is converted to ethylene glycol. The primary feeder material is used to manufacture a wide range of products, including antifreeze and polyester polymers (the precursor to many plastics and fabrics).
- Oxygen is used to weld oxyacetylene which burns acetylene with O2 to create a very hot flame. In this process, metal up to 60 cm thick is first heated with a small oxy-acetylene flame and then rapidly cut by a large stream of O2. Larger rockets use liquid oxygen as their oxidant, which mixes and ignites the fuel for propulsion.
3. Application of Oxygen in Medicine
The remaining 20% of commercially produced oxygen is used in medical applications and in water treatment.
a. Medical applications of oxygen gas to treat liver diseases
Lack of oxygen is considered one of the causes of liver diseases. Because most of the active processes of the liver involve oxygen. The lack of oxygen will adversely affect liver function. It can cause liver cell membranes to break down. Degeneration of liver fat, reducing the efficiency of protein synthesis. Reduce the capacity of the regeneration process of the body’s cells. Increase the amount of toxins generated and stored in the liver. Thereby causing deterioration of liver function, adversely affecting the health of the body.
Therefore, the addition of oxygen during treatment helps to increase the efficiency of recovery, structure regeneration and the ability to function of the liver. Accelerate the healing effect.
b. Medical application of oxygen gas to support cerebral circulatory insufficiency
Cerebral circulatory insufficiency is now not only present in the elderly. It also occurs in young people. The cause of this problem comes from a lack of oxygen supply to the process of transporting blood circulating through brain cells.
Normally, a large amount of blood passes through the brain. Accounts for (about 15%) of the blood supply from the heart to the body. As a result, these red blood cells typically use up to 25% of the total oxygen supply to the entire body. From there, it helps the carotid arteries and the main arteries in the cervical vertebrae be circulated, through to the cells by small capillaries, stimulating the brain activity.
However, for some reason. The amount of oxygen absorbed by blood cells and transported to the brain is lower than normal. This causes certain areas of the brain to become dysfunctional. Generating dizziness, lightheadedness, headache, decreased concentration and many other diseases. This is called a sign of cerebral circulatory insufficiency or cerebral ischemia. Therefore, the addition of medical oxygen to the body, brings great efficiency in supporting brain activity. Reduce bad factors that affect the brain.
c. The application of oxygen gas in medicine to support the treatment of autism
Is the name of a disorder of communication ability and psychological development in children. This disease causes a decrease in the ability to function. Obstructing the child’s normal life with the community. The use of medical oxygen in this case has a great impact on stimulating activity. Gradually increase the working capacity of the brain. Positive support in the treatment of psychological disorders. Help children to integrate into the normal living environment.
d. Application of oxygen in medical treatment of heart attack
Scientists have proven to have a close link between lack of oxygen in blood cells when returning to the heart with the arising of angina. The lack of oxygen leads to the imbalance between the supply and demand of blood cells during wage metabolism, providing the normal activity of the heart. This is also one of the potential causes leading to stroke if not treated promptly.
Therefore, the addition of oxygen for the process of heart activity helps strengthen metabolism, improve working efficiency and balance the heart state. Bringing patients a healthy heart and refreshing spirit after treatment.
In addition, the application of oxygen in health is also used in the field of cancer treatment. Lung diseases. Enhance functions for cells during operation. The use of regular medical oxygen for home patients also provides higher treatment effectiveness. Bring deep sleep, refreshing spirit. Thereby increasing life expectancy and bringing better health during treatment.
In summary, medical oxygen is one of the most amazing products in the creative works of mankind. It is an indispensable device in the field of health and scientific research not only in Vietnam but around the world.
SING INDUSTRIAL GAS VIETNAM CO., LTD
LEADING INDUSTRIAL GAS SOLUTIONS SUPPLIER IN VIETNAM
PRACTICE – POSITIVE – COMPREHENSIVE